When a tube is fitted to any tyre, it is important that the inside of the tyre is carefully examined to ensure that there is nothing which could cause premature tube failure due to cuts or chafing. These include:
- Any tyre manufacturer’s paper or plastic identification labels
- Damage to the inside of the tyre
Inner tubes should also be used:
- Where tubeless tyres are fitted to non-safety wheels or multi-piece wheels
- Where tubeless tyres are fitted with wire spoked wheels where air could otherwise escape through the spoke holes in the wheel
- Inner tubes should not be used as a means of repairing a puncture to a tubeless tyre, a proper repair should be carried out to retain the tubeless properties of the tyre
- If correct size tubes are not available, an alternative size tube should NOT be used.
Wire wheels, multi-piece wheels and some single piece wheels designed for tube type applications can’t be used as tubeless fitments and the use of a tube (regardless of whether the tyre is tube type or tubeless) is essential for safety.