Search
Filters

Austin-a40-farina | Tyres | Pirelli

A40 Farina

Austin A40 Farina

Perfectly formed small Austin. Built from 1958 to 1967.

Originally fitted with a 520-13 crossply tyre, a suitable modern radial replacement would be a 145SR13.

BMC enjoyed a long relationship with Pininfarina and the Austin A40 is where it started; a car that looked incredibly sharp when it was unveiled in 1958. Despite its ultra-modern looks, underneath the skin the running gear was borrowed from the Austin A35, albeit with some modifications along the way. Power came from a 948cc A-Series engine which drove the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox.

While the first Austin A40s came only with a boot, from late 1960 there was an A40 Countryman option, with a neatly designed split tailgate that provided hatchback practicality. A year later the Austin A40 MkII went on sale with a wheelbase stretched by 3.5 inches, wind-up windows in place of the previous pull-up items, a full-width grille, hydraulic brakes and two-tone trim.

The most usable A40 of all appeared in September 1962. Now fitted with a 1098cc engine, there was also a higher final drive for more relaxed cruising, while the gearbox, kingpins and clutch were beefed up. The last Austin A40s were made in November 1967.

Filters