340 1949 to 1955
BMW 340 1949 to 1955
Technically BMW's first post-war product, based on the pre-war 326 model. The 340 became a political football, as it was produced at the BMW factory in the Eastern (Russian) zone of Germany, although the car was offered for sale in the West, and exported. At the same time, BMW was attempting to establish itself in Munich, in the West, and would have liked its factory moved there.
Standard tyre size was a 575-16 crossply, with the option of a 600-16.