Ford Anglia 100E
Ford's modern post war small-car, manufactured between 1953 and 1959.
Originally fitted with a 520S13 crossply tyre, which is still available. The best radial tyre replacement option is a 145SR13.
When the monocoque-construction Ford 100E made its debut at the 1953 Paris motor show it ushered in a new era for its maker. Buyers could choose between four-door (Prefect) and two-door (Anglia) models, powered by an all-new 1172cc side-valve engine. This drove the rear wheels via a three-speed gearbox, Macpherson strut independent suspension was fitted up front and there were hydraulic brakes all round.
Within a year a van was available, the 300E Thames, then in 1955 a 100E Deluxe was introduced with extra trim and a full-width dash; the Escort estate and Squire de luxe estates reached showrooms in 1956 and remained in production until 1961.
The 100E saloon was axed in 1959 but in 1957 it was facelifted with new tail lights, a larger rear window, simpler trim, a new dashboard and the option of a Newtondrive clutchless manual transmission.
In 1959 the 107E was introduced. This was a 100E with the 105E's overhead-valve engine and it remained in production until 1961. A year later the final 100E saloon was made, which from 1959 had come in Popular form only.