Jaguar Mk VIIM
The new generation of postwar Jaguar saloon, built from 1954 to 1957.
The original standard tyre was a 650-16 crossply, with the option of a 670-16 upgrade. A suitable radial replacement would be a 670R16.
The Jaguar MkVII took over where the MkV left off in 1950; there was no MkVI, to avoid confusion with Bentley’s car of the same name. Aimed at the US market, it was Jaguar's first saloon to feature its twin-cam XK engine, initially only with a four-speed manual gearbox. However, from 1953 overdrive could be specified then from 1954 an automatic transmission became optional.
It was in 1954 that a facelifted car was launched: the MkVIIM with repositioned auxiliary lamps, flashing indicators instead of semaphores plus simplified bumpers front and rear. There was also a more powerful engine (190bhp instead of 160bhp), more closely stacked gearbox ratios and firmer suspension.
Further revisions in autumn 1956 produced the MkVIII, with more power gains (now 210bhp), a single-piece windscreen, cut-away rear wheel spats and adjustments to the interior design – power steering was also an option.
Then in 1958 the MkIX arrived; it was a MkVIII with standard power steering, disc brakes all round and a bigger engine (now 3.8 litres instead of 3.4). Production was wound up in September 1961.