3 wheeler 1933 to 1937
Morgan 3 wheeler 1933 to 1937
Morgan's surprisingly sporty 3 wheeler.
Originally fitted with a 18x3 crossply tyre, the closest available equivalent is a 350-18 (also sized as a 410-18 or 100/90-18).
Morgan's first three-wheeler was made in 1909 by HFS Morgan for his own use. It was a single-seater, but there was enough interest for him to put the car into production as a two-seater in 1910. Power came from a 964cc JAP V-twin engine and there were De Luxe or Sporting variants; a Grand Prix model followed in 1914.
For 1919 there were two new models: the four-seater Family and the sporty Aero two-seater, with a 976cc engine, but production wouldn’t get properly underway until 1923, by which point the Aero was available with side-valve or OHV Blackburne engines, a side-valve JAP unit, or a water-cooled Anzani powerplant.
In 1926 all Morgans got electric lighting; two years later electric starting became standard and the Super Sports Aero was introduced; wider and lower than the other models, and faster with its tuned 1096cc JAP V-twin.
The four-seat F4 of 1932 represented the most radical Morgan yet. Powered by a 933cc Ford Model Y side-valve four-cylinder engine hidden under a conventional bonnet, there was also a new pressed-steel chassis. A two-seat F4 appeared in 1935, designated F2 and optionally available with a Ford 1172cc side-valve engine. This model, along with its F4 sibling, would remain in production until July 1952, from which point Morgan built solely four-wheeled machines.