Camper Type 2 Bay 1970 to 1979
Volkswagen Camper Type 2 Bay 1970 to 1979
The second version of the commercial and camper VW. Built from 1970 to 1979.
Originally fitted with a 185R14C commercial radial tyre.
When the Volkswagen Camper arrived in 1949, officially known as the Type 2, its air-cooled flat-four engine displaced just 1131cc to give 25bhp. Five years later the engine capacity was increased to 1192bhp and the power rose to 30bhp; it was at this point that right-hand drive Type 2 production started.
In 1959 the engine's power was increased to 34bhp and from this point on an all-synchro gearbox was fitted, but for those who wanted yet more power, an optional 42bhp 1492cc engine was introduced in 1963.
The most radical update yet happened in 1967, when the split-screen bodyshell was swapped for the Bay Window, with a single-piece windscreen. This change coincided with the fitment of a 47bhp 1584cc engine which was upgraded to 50bhp in 1970 with the fitment of dual-port cylinder heads. A twin-carb 1679cc engine boosted power to 66bhp in 1971, an automatic gearbox was offered from 1972, then from 1973 a 68bhp 1795cc engine was fitted; by 1975 this had become a 70bhp 1970cc powerplant. In 1979 the Type 2 was replaced by an all-new Volkswagen Camper.