Camper Type 2 Split 1967 to 1968
Volkswagen Camper Type 2 Split 1967 to 1968
The original commercial and camper VW. Built from 1967 to 1968.
Originally fitted with a 700-14 commercial crossply tyre, for which there is a commercial radial alternative, the 185R14C.
When the Volkswagen Camper arrived in 1949, officially known as the Type 2, its air-cooled flat-four engine displaced just 1131cc to give 25bhp. Five years later the engine capacity was increased to 1192bhp and the power rose to 30bhp; it was at this point that right-hand drive Type 2 production started.
In 1959 the engine's power was increased to 34bhp and from this point on an all-synchro gearbox was fitted, but for those who wanted yet more power, an optional 42bhp 1492cc engine was introduced in 1963.
The most radical update yet happened in 1967, when the split-screen bodyshell was swapped for the Bay Window, with a single-piece windscreen. This change coincided with the fitment of a 47bhp 1584cc engine which was upgraded to 50bhp in 1970 with the fitment of dual-port cylinder heads. A twin-carb 1679cc engine boosted power to 66bhp in 1971, an automatic gearbox was offered from 1972, then from 1973 a 68bhp 1795cc engine was fitted; by 1975 this had become a 70bhp 1970cc powerplant. In 1979 the Type 2 was replaced by an all-new Volkswagen Camper.