Jaguar Mk 2 1959 to 1967
The high-performance Mk1 perfected into a cultural icon. Produced from 1959 to 1967. Earlier cars fitted with a 600-15 crossply tyre, with a 640-15 crossply tyre as an option (standard from 1962), a suitable radial replacement would be 185HR15.
When Jaguar introduced its 2.4 saloon in 1955, it was the company's first monocoque production car. By 1955 there was a 3.4-litre engine option and from the point that a revised car was introduced in 1959, those first editions were retrospectively known as the Jaguar Mk1.
The refreshed saloon was called the Jaguar Mk2 and came in 2.4, 3.4 or 3.8-litre forms, all using Jaguar's legendary straight-six engine. The updated car brought standard disc brakes front and rear, a wider rear track and front suspension upgrades, while power steering was optional from September 1960. The rear and side windows were also enlarged to improve visibility.
A final facelift in 1967 saw the Jaguar 240 and 340 supersede the Mk2, although the changes weren't extensive. There were thinner bumpers and Ambla (plastic) trim, the picnic tables were dispensed with and the fog/spot lights were now optional instead of standard. In April 1969 the final 240 was made; the last 340 had been built in September 1968.