P4 80 1959 to 1962
Rover P4 80 1959 to 1962
4-cylinder version of the P4. Produced from 1959 to 1962.
Originally fitted with a 600-15 or 640-15 crossply tyre. If a radial tyre is prefered, then a 185R15 could be fitted.
The Rover P4 ushered in a new era for Rover. It replaced the pre-war P3 and although dubbed the poor man’s Rolls-Royce, it was still a costly car to buy. Initially only a six-cylinder engine was available but in late 1953 the Rover 60 arrived, with a 1997cc four-cylinder powerplant.
By 1955 the Rover P4 had been refreshed with a new rear end that incorporated fresh lights; the following year the front wings were redesigned, then in 1958 the radiator grille was updated.
For 1959 there was a new P4 derivative in the form of the Rover 80. In place of the previous engine there was a 2286cc unit rated at 77bhp instead of the 60bhp of the earlier powerplant. This new edition came with standard front disc brakes and overdrive and it remained in production until 1962, although the Rover P4 would remain on sale for another two years in six-cylinder form.