P4 90 1953 to 1959
Rover P4 90 1953 to 1959
Rover's first modern post-war car. Produced from 1953 to 1959 in two versions.
Originally fitted with a 600-15 or 640-15 crossply tyre. If a radial tyre is prefered, then a 185R15 could be fitted.
When the Rover P4 was launched in 1950, it came only in six-cylinder form with a 2103cc powerplant. Known as the Rover 75 these first P4s featured a distinctive central light set into the grille, which is why it was nicknamed the Cyclops.
That central front light proved too radical and in 1952 it bit the dust; the following year the Rover 90 was introduced with a 90bhp 2638cc engine. For 1955 there was a new rear end with fresh lights, then from 1956 the Rover 90 got servo-assisted brakes as standard and the front wings were redesigned.
Further six-cylinder Rover P4 derivatives debuted in 1957: the 105R (for Roverdrive) and 105S (for Synchromesh, denoting a manual gearbox), with a 2638cc engine, twin carbs and servo-assisted brakes. In 1959 the 2625cc Rover 100 hit the roads and disc front brakes were standardised for all models, while in 1962 the Rover 95 and 110 arrived. The former was effectively a 100 but without overdrive and a higher ratio rear axle; the Rover 110 was a posh 100, with P5 wheeltrims and gauges, and a Weslake cylinder head.
Rover P4 production ceased in 1964.